INTRODUCING MOVE IT 2022 HEADLINER JOSH WHARMBY...
Josh started out his career as a commercial dancer, realising his ambition early, by the age of 18 he was selected to work with prominent American choreographers Brian Friedman on ITV’s ‘The X Factor’ and Beyonce ‘Single Ladies’ choreographer JaQuel Knight for Nicole Scherzinger. His other credits as a dancer include Taylor Swift, P!NK, Liam Payne, Kylie Minogue, Rita Ora, Take That, Will.I.Am.
Inspired by his parents who have owned a dance school for 30 years, Josh has taught dance since the age of 16 which played a massive part in developing his choreographic style and fuelled his love for a ‘full out’ dance break. Josh’s athletic choreography and distinctive clean lines have lent themselves perfectly to the realms of live performance, music videos, film and TV
Josh began work on TV show Dance Dance Dance as assistant choreographer for the UK ITV series (2016) and was asked back as lead choreographer for the following 2 seasons in Holland, working with Creative Director Timor Steffens (2017/2018). During his time with Dance Dance Dance, Josh was coaching the Celebrity (non-dancer!) contestants and a troupe of 12 professional dancers to recreate some of the most iconic music videos of all time using a state of the art augmented reality stage. Following DDD, Josh spent 2 months working as associate choreographer to the legendary Brian Friedman on a film to accompany the release of Melanie Martinez’ album #K12.
PHASE BY JOSH WHARMBY:
A 2 day dance program by Josh Wharmby aimed at dancers wanting to further their career and take the next step towards their goals. 12 hours of intensive dance training, industry guest choreographers, mock auditions & rehearsals, Q&A’s, individual feedback. Follow @phasebyjoshwharmby on Instagram to keep up to date with upcoming programs.
TAKE CLASS WITH JOSH:
- TV Shows – Rugby World Cup Closing Ceremony, Dance Dance Dance, The Voice, The Voice Kids.
- Award Shows – Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards, MTV European Music Awards.
- Music Artists – Melanie Martinez, Akon, Liam Payne. Josh has been working closely with recording artist Will Young choreographing his music videos for “All The Songs” and “My Love” directed by Rankin as well as live TV performances. Most recently, Josh has been working with up and coming pop sensation Mimi Webb on her live performances and choreographed her latest music video for her new single ‘24/5’. Josh also worked as choreographer for The Voice UK 2021.
WE CAUGHT UP WITH JOSH...
- Where did your journey as a dancer begin?
Started dancing at 6 at mum and dad’s studio in Liverpool. I went on to train at dance college for 2 years and then did my final year at LIPA.
- Biggest hurdles you have had to face?
Making sacrifices. Missed out on family events and important moments due to work.
- How should we deal with rejection?
You need a thick skin, but I believe that there is a job out there for everyone
- Alternative career?
I’d love to be a police detective. I listen to crime podcasts all the time. I’m obsessed.
- Where do you see yourself in 10 years’ time?
A Creative Director and a training programme that was being delivered internationally. A bigger family and most of all happy.
- Music to lift your mood
No by Little Mix